Continuing Education Approvals
All Health Literacy Program participants receive continuing education credit for each Health Literacy module from the Area Health Education Center, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University. Notation is indicated on the Documentation of Successful Completion which is provided upon successful completion of each module post-test. This documentation may be presented to your professional organization for consideration toward required professional development/continuing education credit.
The OSU/AHEC Health Literacy Distance Education Modules have been previously approved for continuing education credit by the following organizations. Currently, approval is under review and we will update this page in the near future.
- Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Dialysis Technicians may complete Health Literacy modules and present module certificates to their accrediting body for continuing education approval under the guidelines of Ohio Administrative Code 4723-14-05 (6).
- Occupational Therapists may complete Health Literacy modules and present module certificates to their accrediting body for continuing education approval under the guidelines of Ohio Administrative Code 4755-9, Section 4755-9-01(B)(7) as it relates to the clinical practice, management or education of occupational therapy.
- All available modules may be completed for continuing education credit by Registered Dietitians and Dietitian Tech, Registered. The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) now accepts self-study programs accepted by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for Continuing Professional Education credit.
- All available modules have been approved for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) by the Center for Public Health Practice located in the OSU College of Public Health. The Center for Public Health Practice (MEP2939), a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc., this program is designated for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) and/or Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES) to receive Category 1 CECH in health education.
- State of Ohio continuing education credits will be provided to qualifying Pharmacists through The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy, approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy as a provider of Continuing Pharmacy Education.
- The following Health Literacy modules are approved for continuing education credit each from The Counselor, Social Work & Marriage and Family Therapist Board of Ohio. The CSWMFT approval expired on 11/01/18, but is currently under review for renewal. We will update with the new approval number ASAP.
- Health Literacy: It's Time to Take It Seriously! (Core Module)
- Effective Verbal and Written Communication With Those From Other Cultures
- The Effects of Aging on Health Literacy
- You Can't Tell By Looking!: Assessing a Patient's Ability to Read and Understand Health